Earlier this week I noticed that branches on both of the lime trees were dying and the tiny fruits were falling off. I looked up the symptoms on the internet and it appeared they were infected with a fungus that quickly kills the tree. I asked our workers to look at the trees and they were surprised at how fast the branches had died. They cut a branch and inside parts of the wood were black. This was a sure sign, according to the internet, of a fungal infection.
John brought samples into town to see if there was anything we could do to protect the other trees, but no one knew the solution without a lab test to confirm the disease. We decided to remove the two sick trees, root ball and all. I will keep a close watch on the other trees for signs of the disease, but for now everything looks OK.